Minimum time slice for relaible Linux execution

From: limp
Date: Thu Mar 31 2011 - 08:21:01 EST

Dear all,

I have developed a framework similar to a hypervisor that switches between
Linux and a RT domain.
As RT priority is of highest importance, I want to give more time to the RT
domain *but* I also want to give Linux adequate time for being able to
operate.

Could anyone advise me on how to determine the minimum possible time slice
that I can give to Linux so that it doesn't crash?

That is, if I periodically execute my RT domain every ms and then I switch
to Linux, what's the minimum time that should be given to Linux, until the
next RT domain execution?

NOTE: The RT domain and Linux are not executed concurrently, i.e. the RT
domain is executed first and then Linux executes until the next RT domain
execution.

Thank you all in advance.

John K.