Re: RFC: Platform data for onboard USB assets

From: Andy Green
Date: Wed Mar 23 2011 - 06:11:31 EST

On 03/23/2011 09:47 AM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
There is no udev solution for what is being done currently by the async
platform_data patchset with SDIO WLAN. The patches are out there and in
use already. The only reason I don't post them here as round 2 of the
RFC yet is because Grant wanted a couple of days and politically it's
expedient for me to agree to that.

Kernel policy has always been that just because some vendor has deployed
an interface doesn't mean we care one iota about it or consider it an
argument for the solution. In some cases in fact it bcomes the working
demo of why it was a bad idea.

To be clear, this is not about any funny business at the interface on the hardware.

The SDIO patches target wl12xx that is already in mainline and already using literally platform_data. Because there's no neater way on offer, it currently -- in mainline -- does it by having a built-in stub with its own Kconfig, that copies platform_data from the board definition file into a private malloc'd buffer, then uses it by getting a pointer to the copy from another private api in the driver. All this in a specific driver.

Considering the driver for SDIO WLAN modules like this must be told critical stuff like which irq line they are wired up to, which is an attribute of the physical board, having the async platform_data support is making things cleaner and more generic in mainline directly in this case at least.

But there are a huge number of users of platform_data in mainline
already we can agree. Are you talking about a mass conversion of those
to eliminating platform_data so they use your preferred token query model?

Ultimately that will probably be worth doing once we have some kind of
meaningful model. We've actually been slowly beating platform devices
into making more use of the resource data it does have when possible, and
we have various parsers between platform data and device specific
platform data structs that are horrible glue-together jobs that it would
be nice to stomp on.

For devices that are probed asynchronously though, resource and platform_data have the same issue they can't be attached until the device is instantiated.

I think the first additional effort needs to start at home on that one
and think through Device Tree and kernel policy on interoperation with
existing driver implementations using platform_data. Just being sniffy
about platform_data for reasons you can't back up when challenged won't
cut it IMO.

Much of this depends upon what the data is and what it changes. Things
like interface names for example shouldn't be kernel mangled on the whim
of random board vendors. They follow a unified behaviour *across*
platforms, which is what matters most in the bigger picture.

Other stuff is to all intents and purposes sometimes hard coded into
drivers because while they are USB drivers they are checking specific
vendor id fields and changing behaviour on them. In some cases those
vendor id fields are actually a specific hardwired device.

It's the case for even usbnet, which is using a broken heuristic to decide what to call the interface not even based on vid / pid.

Anyway I am reconciled changing device names to fit the physical board setup isn't going to fly, it's more important to find out if async platform_data as a concept will fly.

Before this RFC there's no generic support for the concept, although that hasn't stopped it being implemented in wl12xx already at individual mainline driver level. And before this RFC, I don't believe there was any concept of async tagging through bus path for soldered-on assets in Device Tree either.

-Andy