[RFC] perf: EBNF for event syntax

From: Lin Ming
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 23:37:32 EST

Hi, all

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How about we start writing proper EBNF syntax rules for this stuff, its
> getting seriously out of hand.

As Peter suggested, I wrote a simple EBNF for event syntax, as below.
My first plan is to pass in extra config value for some events,
for example, offcore response and load latency.

perf record -e r100b(0004):p

As above, the extra config value 0004 is passed in the parentheses.

The EBNF
========

EventList := Event [',' EventList]
Event := HardwareEvent |
RawEvent |
SoftwareEvent |
TracepointEvent |
HardwareBreakpointEvent

HardwareEvent := HardwareEventName [ExtraConfig] [Modifer]
HardwareEventName := 'cpu-cycles' | 'cycles' | 'instructions' /* and so on ...*/
ExtraConfig := '(' ConfigValue [',' ConfigValue] ')'
ConfigValue := HexNumber

RawEvent := RawSeperator RawCode [ExtraConfig] [Modifer]
RawSeperator := 'r'
RawCode := HexNumber

SoftwareEvent := SoftwareEventName
SoftwareEventName := 'cpu-clock' | 'task-clock' | 'faults' /* and so on ...*/

TracepointEvent := SubsystemName ':' TracepointName
SubsystemName := /* All AsciiString except the pre-defined hardware/software/cache events name and BreakpointSeparator */
TracepointName := '*' | AsciiString

HardwareBreakpointEvent := BreakpointSeparator BreakpointAddress [':' AccessType]
BreakpointSeparator := 'mem:'
BreakpointAddress := HexNumber
AccessType := 'r' | 'w' | 'x'

Modifier := ModifierSperator ModifierList
ModifierSperator := ':'
ModifierList := ModifierItem ModifierList
ModifierItem := {PreciseModifer} | kernelModifer | UserModifer | HypervisorModifer
PreciseModifer := 'p' /* Can be multiple PreciseModifers */
kernelModifer := 'k'
UserModifer := 'u'
HypervisorModifer := 'h'

Some valid examples
===================
Hardware events with modifiers,
cycles:pk,instructions:u

Raw event with extra config values and/or modifiers,
r0110(40A0):pu
r0110(40A0,40A1):k

Software event,
cpu-clock,faults

Hardware breakpoint events:
mem:400346
mem:800A03:w

Some invalid examples
r0110(40A0,40A1,40A2), invalid, only 2 extra config values are allowed
cpu-clock:p, invalid, software event does not have precise modifier

Any comments?

Thanks,
Lin Ming