Re: [PATH 0/4] Memstick patches for 2.6.39

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 19:21:28 EST

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:42:51 +0200
Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 23:47 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 05:09:05 +0200 Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Also, I don't have much time now to improve the ms_block driver till
> this summer (studying).
> The driver works. Yes it has a flaw in regard to scatterlist processing,
> because I didn't find a better way to deal with this monster, but I will
> fix that later. I am not the kind of guy that runs away after a merge.
> It would be nice to just see my code in kernel, code I wrote more that a
> year ago.
>
> This flaw is purely theoretical. Driver does work.

Lots of code is "flawed but works". The place for such code is
drivers/staging/ - it gets put in there so the code is available for
those who need the driver and the code is later moved over into
drivers/ once the flaws have been addressed.

So a path forward here would be for us to put the driver and the
sglist extensions into a directory under drivers/staging/.