vfs: inode lock breakup

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 07:23:45 EST

Hi Al,

The following patches are the inode_lock breakup series originally
derived from Nick Piggin's vfs-scale tree. I've kind of been sitting
on them until the dcache_lock breakup and rcu path-walk has had some
time to be shaken out. The patch Ñet is pretty much unchanged from
the last round of review last last year - all I've done to bring it
up to date is forward port it and run it through some testing on XFS
and ext4.

I know it's late in the .39 merge window, but I hope you'll consider
it if the patches are still acceptable(*). Otherwise I'm happy to take
the time to get it right for .40.

Cheers,

Dave.

(*) The series can also be found here:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dgc/xfsdev.git inode-scale

Dave Chinner (8):
fs: protect inode->i_state with inode->i_lock
fs: factor inode disposal
fs: Lock the inode LRU list separately
fs: remove inode_lock from iput_final and prune_icache
fs: move i_sb_list out from under inode_lock
fs: move i_wb_list out from under inode_lock
fs: rename inode_lock to inode_hash_lock
fs: pull inode->i_lock up out of writeback_single_inode

Documentation/filesystems/Locking | 2 +-
Documentation/filesystems/porting | 16 +-
Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt | 2 +-
fs/block_dev.c | 6 +-
fs/buffer.c | 2 +-
fs/drop_caches.c | 18 +-
fs/fs-writeback.c | 141 ++++++++-----