Re: intel_ips produces constant load of 1

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Mon Mar 21 2011 - 14:04:22 EST

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:38:38 +0100
Andreas Hartmann <andihartmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> on my MSI CR620 laptop, intel_ips produces a constant load of 1, even if
> the machine is idle.
>
> The ips-monitor hangs in D state:
>
> ps aux | grep ips
> root 593 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 17:20 0:00
> [ips-adjust]
> root 594 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? D 17:20 0:00
> [ips-monitor]
>
> If the module isn't loaded, the load of the machine in idle mode is 0 as
> expected.

This is a reporting problem, and probably due to the schedule() call
and associated task state in the ips-monitor thread. I thought setting
the task state to interruptible would prevent this, but it seems like
it's not enough for the deferrable on-stack timers?

At any rate, it's not actually causing increased CPU usage, so you can
safely ignore it until we have a fix.