kernel panic on resume from suspend to ram 2.6.38, with link to photoof screen

From: Tim Richardson
Date: Sun Mar 20 2011 - 07:59:08 EST

My laptop is a Toshiba U400 with intel graphics. BIOS is latest. It's been running linux for three years, mostly Debian unstable.
Every 2.6.38 kernel I've tried gives a kernel panic on resume from ram suspend. I have tried three different 2.6.38 kernels from aptosid (all of them after release of 2.6.38) and the Debian unstable 2.6.38 which has just entered repositories.
This happens even in run-level 3 (xserver not running).
However, suspend to disk resumes happily.
I don't have any closed source drivers used: video is intel, wireless is intel, and virtualbox is OSE.
I have a photo of the console screen here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/te.richardson/Aptosid#5585718281112043778

PS I don't know is this is a kernel panic. The machine freezes hard, I must force a power-down. I can't find the messages in the photo in any system logs. The LED on the caps lock key flashes. This system has had no problems with any kernels in recent memory.