Re: Poll about irqsafe_cpu_add and others

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Mar 17 2011 - 11:18:25 EST

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, David Miller wrote:

> I had been meaning to bring this up from another perspective.
>
> In networking, we often only ever access objects in base or
> BH context. Therefore in BH context cases we can do just
> normal counter bumps without any of the special atomic or
> IRQ disabling code at all.

We have the __ functions for that purpose. __this_cpu_inc f.e. falls back
to a simply ++ operation if the arch cannot provide something better.
irqsafe_xx are only used if the context does not provide any protection
and if there is the potential of the counter being incremented from an
interrupt context.