Re: Typo in linux-2.6.38/arch/x86/kernel/entry_32.S

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 17 2011 - 04:31:50 EST

* Eric Valette <eric.valette@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I guess its binutils git of the 2011/03/02
>
> As far as I'm concerned I only found one occurence on one machine
> although I compiled tree 2.6.38 kernels for different machines.
> because its under the CONFIG_KVM_GUEST flag

Unofortunately there's also a CONFIG_XEN=y build breakage caused by this new
binutils behavior, going back from v2.6.38 to v2.6.27-rc1 and breaking
bisection builds for over 130,000 commits covering an almost 3 years window of
kernel history.

GAS allowed such debug symbol mismatches for over a decade and never reported
anything. It's nice that binutils now checks for this condition (we need more
automation in this area) and the most helpful would be for the assembler to
report the mismatch via a new *warning* - and by also ignore the symbol in
question.

Instead this harmless condition was escallated into an unnecessary,
retroactive, show-stopping build failure, which is an exceedingly lame and
harmful. Tools should be permissive, and they should help not hinder
development.

The kernel side fix is upstream already and i've attached it below. That
obviously does not help bisecting testers who will trigger the build failure
after the first bisection step ...

Thanks,

Ingo