Re: [git pull] VFS - the first pile

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Wed Mar 16 2011 - 07:46:58 EST

On Mar 16, 2011, at 3:21 AM, Al Viro wrote:

> BTW, you want to update 005 in there - we are back to correct "maximum
> is 40 symlinks total, 8 levels on nesting" for all syscalls. Add the
> 41st symlink to your chain in testcase ;-)

Unless there's a way to read out these limits, I'm not sure it's a good idea
to add a test like that to xfstests --- it's too fragile since at some point
we might change what those limits might be.

Also, xfstests is primarily intended to be a file system level stress tester
testing for correctness, and issues of whether we blow up on the 40th,
41st, or 42nd symlink seems more like an ABI issue --- and even there I'm
not sure the ABI specification should be quite that detailed over what's
allowed and not allowed.

-- Ted