Re: kernel git bisect question

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 16:54:44 EST

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 03:27:00PM -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> Between git bisect [good | bad ]s should I always "make clean" or can I
> count on the build system to take care of everything properly?

I don't usually do a make clean. Although my ktest.pl (see tools/testing/ktest)
does do a make mrproper between builds (unless you specify not to).

There are some cases in the kernel that can cause bugs if you do not do
a make clean, so if your bisect hits one of those rare cases, you may
introduce a bug in the build. But that is extremely rare. Like I said, when I use to
do manual git bisects, I never did a make clean. But now that I do
automate bisects, and do not need to babysit the box, I let ktest do
those cleans.

-- Steve