Re: [RFC] Proposal for ptrace improvements

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 13:33:13 EST

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 11:28:55AM +0100, Tejun Heo wrote:

> If someone is looking for completely transparent light weight
> monitoring, there is a much better fitting mechanism for that and it
> works frigging well and provides much better insight into what's going
> on with the system.
>
> Use tracing for tracing.

Hmm, what tracing utility exactly? If I want to trace a running task,
that I have the debug info on it where I would have the ability to
insert probes, which utility would you recommend?

strace and gdb use ptrace

ftrace focuses on the kernel.

I don't think perf has a good way to trace userspace yet.

I haven't taken a good look at lttng, but I think it has some sort of
library that is attached to the process. Is there a better way than
attching a library to said task.

systemtap may have ways too, but I think it depends on utrace which has
pretty much been nak'd in the kernel.

-- Steve