Re: CONFIG_ARM_DMA_MEM_BUFFERABLE and readl/writel weirdness

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Wed Mar 09 2011 - 04:38:36 EST

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 01:32:15AM -0800, Saravana Kannan wrote:
> On Wed, March 9, 2011 12:05 am, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> >> While the PCI stuff is true, as you say, it's not related to mb()s. The
> >> mb()s matter to the point of getting the writes to the intended
> >> "devices addresses" in the program order. What happens after that is a
> >> separate issue.
> >>
> >> So, going back to the discussion of mb()s and readl/writel (and
> >> variations), I think we should no longer state the all IO accesses are
> >> ordered wrt each other. Are we in agreement on this?
> >
> > No, because you clearly haven't understood the point I made.
> >
> > I still believe you are wrong on this point.
>
> I'm not going to pretend to be a PCI expert, but I think the ARMv7 ARM
> text I quoted makes it pretty clear that all IO accesses are not ordered
> wrt each other. So, why do you still disagree on that point?

Because you're entirely missing my point, and you don't need to be a PCI
expert to understand it. You're just not taking the time to think about
it because it says "PCI" and I guess you're not interested in PCI.

The point I made is that even on a strongly ordered CPU, accesses to PCI
devices on different busses can be _out_ _of_ _order_. This is something
we expect. This is something we deal with by reading back from the device
after a write _if_ the driver deems that the relative ordering matters.

That's a decision for the device driver to make - and the _only_ way to
do that is by reading back from the device. Adding memory barriers do
*not* help, and if your 'ARM expert' thinks it does then he's wrong.

I will not change the CONFIG_ARM_DMA_MEM_BUFFERABLE text - this config
option is about the type of memory used for the DMA memory, and not
about IO access ordering. To make it so confuses the two issues.