Taking forward the realtime work

From: Maarten Lankhorst
Date: Sat Feb 26 2011 - 10:22:58 EST

Hi all,

After digging through the -rt patchset again I wanted to take it forward to the current kernel, so far I didn't to get much work done as the code seems to be kinda invasive, even with a lot of the things already in mainline. However a lot of things in the -rt patch seem to no longer be needed, since softirqs are merged, the BKL is gone, and there's a patch set out to make mm preemptible.

I've started testing from the mm-preempt patchset, and it seems to boot, but now that I'm actually looking at the -rt patchset diff from v2.6.33.7 it's not that trivial to port forward, so I'm looking for help. Blindly trying to apply the diff forward 6 versions will not work, so I'm looking at how to add the patches in such a way that each change is done in a logical order, in such a way preferably that at each point the kernel is bootable. I understand that for -rt there will be a few commits for which that won't be possible, but it seems to me the amount of work needed to get -rt working isn't as big any more as it used to be.

Note: There's no guarantee I'll be able to pull it off, but there's this itch I need to get rid of. ;)

Cheers,
Maarten