Re: regression - 2.6.36 -> 2.6.37 - kvm - 32bit SMP guests don'tboot

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 07:26:59 EST

On 02/24/2011 01:27 PM, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> Not very useful when the guest is making progress, I'm afraid.
can perf report help here?

> Can you try a little trace-cmd -e kvm -b 20000?
ugh, I'm afraid I'll have some dumb questions here :-[
You mean this: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git ?

Yes. If you have udis86 and udis86-devel installed when building it, it's even better.

and then re-execute qemu-kvm using it? or I'm totally wrong?

You don't have to execute qemu-kvm under it, if you have a running instance you can run trace-cmd in parallel and it will record whatever's happening.

> Sure. Something similar that came up - sometimes Windows IDE drivers
> fall back to PIO mode. Are you using IDE? If so, please check whether
> it's using DMA or PIO.
I'll check, but this problem occurs only during fsck phase, when to guest boots, then it runs pretty fast..
so maybe during boot it might fall back to PIO, but from guest, I guess I won't have a chance
to find out.. can I somehow check it from host?

The trace-cmd output will show. Please run trace-cmd report afterwards and post the results somewhere.