Re: How important is it that tty_write_room doesn't lie?

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 06:26:50 EST

> I think that people don't normally hit this as the console code isn't
> used as a tty and a console at the same time, right?

And also on most hardware that it doesn't actually matter.

The underlying logic is that printk output is important, and Linus has
always insisted that what matters is that it gets out, even with
collateral damage be that vt output mangling or serial losses.

If it's an actual problem in your environment you could do a bit of quiet
internal buffering (or report less than you really have if your fifo
queue is big)

Alan