Re: [PULL REQUEST] md and related patches for 2.6.38

From: NeilBrown
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 01:31:28 EST

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:01:49 -0800 Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM, NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  The most noteworthy is :
> >       Fix over-zealous flush_disk when changing device size.
> >
> >  which I include below in full.
>
> Gah.
>
> Why did you do that butt-ugly "__invalidate_device2()"?
>
> There are something like three users of that existing
> __invalidate_device() function, it would have made for a smaller and
> cleaner patch to just fix them all, rather than change the calling
> convention, create that ugly "2" function, and add the wrapper
> function.
>
> It's _doubly_ crazy, because that's exactly what you did to
> "invalidate_inodes()", so it has this crazy mix of "change one
> function" and "try to maintain another function unchanged".
>
> Why?

Seemed like a good idea at the time?
invalidate_inodes had precisely one caller so that seemed safe.
__invalidate_device had more - but I agree that two is not very many.

Revised patch - as below - can now be pull from the same place:
git://neil.brown.name/md for-linus

Thanks,
NeilBrown