Re: [patch v2 0/3] OProfile support for System z's hardwaresampling

From: Heinz Graalfs
Date: Tue Feb 15 2011 - 12:04:50 EST

Hello Robert,

thanks for the positive reply.

Please see my comments below. I suppose I still need some more detailed
directions from you.
Unfortunately I will not be in the office Thursday and Friday.

Heinz

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 20:42 +0100, Robert Richter wrote:
> Heinz,
>
> On 21.01.11 05:06:51, Heinz Graalfs wrote:
> > I'm resending yesterday's mail because I missed to specify the correct sender information.
> >
> > This is a re-posting of the patch series originally posted last month:
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-s390&m=129285043619973&w=2
> >
> > Heinz
> >
> > Changes in
> >
> > v2:
> > - kernel module hwsampler removed, everything is now in oprofile kernel module
> > - functions from hwsampler-main.c and smpctl.c merged into arch/s390/oprofile/hwsampler.c
> > - functions made static
> > - arch/s390/include/asm/hwsampler.h moved to arch/s390/oprofile/hwsampler.h
> > - structs have now hws_ prefix
> > - config variables changed, HAVE_HWSAMPLER used only
> > - original patch 4 (handle_munmap.patch) removed
>
> thanks for you patches, I have applied them with modifications to:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rric/oprofile.git s390
>
> For atomic compilation of single patches I changed patch order and the
> Makefile where necessary. The branch also includes my follow-on
> patches.
>
> I will be travelling the next weeks and wanted to have this series in
> linux-next now for later inclusion to .39. We would run out of time
> otherwise (my bad). Please review and test the changes I made and send
> me possibly updates.
>
> Though I applied the patches I want to have the following changes:
>
> * Merge init.c and hwsampler_file.c, two files are bloated here and
> hwsampler_file.c is a bad and too long naming.

OK, I've merged all hwsampler_files.c contents into init.c

> * Rework functions in cpu_buffer.c (log_sample,
> __oprofile_add_ext_sample, oprofile_add_ext_hw_sample, etc.). All
> the (static) functions can be merged to a single functino by
> implementing a struct that holds all current function arguments.
> Something like:
>
> static void __oprofile_add_ext_sample(struct *foobar fb);
> void oprofile_add_sample(struct pt_regs * const regs, unsigned long event)
> {
> struct foobar fb = { .regs = regs, .event = event };
> __oprofile_add_ext_sample(&fb);
> }

OK, I've done this

> The naming and description of oprofile_add_ext_hw_sample() is also
> not the best. As interface in include/linux/oprofile.h we could then
> merge oprofile_add_ext_sample() and oprofile_add_ext_hw_sample() to
> a single function.
>
> It would be nice if you could implement this.

sure, I will do this, however I'm not sure what you exactly mean.
Could you specify the interface in oprofile.h what you basically have in
mind?