Re: [RFC,PATCH 2/3] clk: Generic support for fixed-rate clocks

From: Saravana Kannan
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 23:51:18 EST

On 02/14/2011 05:41 PM, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
Hi Ryan,

A fixed clock may still have other operations such as enable/disable.

Then it's not a fixed clock; I'd prefer this to be a separate type, as it's
now hardware dependent.

I'm confused. If a clock's rate can't be changed and it can't be enabled or disabled, then what's the point of representing that clock signal/line as a clock in the driver. Seems like a "nothing to see here, move along" type of clock. To express it differently, I find this similar to "if (1) { ... }". Obviously I'm missing something here. What is it?

-Saravana