Re: vfs-scale, general questions (Re: NFS root lockups with -next 20110113)

From: J. R. Okajima
Date: Sat Feb 12 2011 - 21:20:06 EST

Ian Kent:
> > - what is the right order of dget() and mntget()?
> > If I remember correctly, someone said "mntget() first and then
> > dget(). when putting, do in reverse" in the discussion when
> > path_{get,put}() were born. So it is called "the right order" in the
> > commit log.
> > It was many years ago. Is it still true? And should rcu-walk follow it
> > too? The current implementation doesn't seem to care about this order.
>
> I didn't spot that, where did you see this?
>
> I'm not sure about the get but I fairly sure the dput() has to be before
> the mntput() because the shrink_dcache_*() cleanup routines object to
> dentrys that have a reference count of more than one.

For dget - mntget, there are several such code. For example,
nameidata_dentry_drop_rcu()
{
struct dentry *parent = nd->path.dentry;
:::
parent->d_count++;
spin_unlock(&dentry->d_lock);
spin_unlock(&parent->d_lock);
:::
mntget(nd->path.mnt);
:::

But I am not sure the "get" order is a problem.
Nick Piggin also replied and said dget and mntget is not a problem, and
I replied if I found such "put" order, I would write again.

J. R. Okajima