Re: SMBIOS / DMI Event Logs in Linux?

From: Mike Waychison
Date: Thu Feb 10 2011 - 21:20:10 EST

On 02/10/11 17:25, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 03:18:14PM -0800, Mike Waychison wrote:
Hey guys,

I need some guidance. Do either of you know of any attempts to have
the kernel decode and display/interact with DMI type 15: System
Event Log?

I don't have any experience in this area, but I do have one comment on
your proposal below:

The event log I'm dealing with while cleaning up the "gsmi" driver
interacts with a log that is modeled after the System Event Log.
I'm wondering if there is any precedent for a clean way to expose
the event log, I'd like to use it (replacing the ioctls from my
earlier patch series send-out).

FYI, we use OEM specific headers and descriptors, which probably
doesn't help.

Do most folks that need access to this data rely on /dev/mem and
dmidecode? I'd like to avoid going that route if possible.

Lacking any better ideas though, I was thinking of something along
the lines of the following:

$ cat /sys/firmware/gsmi/eventlog

with a single event log entry per line.
<offset> would be the record number,
<boot number> is the recorded boot number
<recorded time> comes from each record,
<quoted reason> is the English translation of Event Log Types from
the DMTF standard + vendor extended types we use.
<optional data> is space separated values associated with<quoted reason>

Ick, no, remember, sysfs is "one value per file". doing even a single
line like you describe here isn't ok, not to mention a huge buffer of
these lines.

And no, a "binary" sysfs file is not ok either.

Works fine for the /sys/firmware/efi stuff. Works well enough for /sys/firmware/acpi too.

Now your idea for such a log file is fine, I'm not saying that's not ok,
or acceptable, just don't put it in sysfs, sorry. Try using the ring
buffer framework from the tracing code perhaps?

Or use debugfs? Or make a 'firmwarefs'? I can easily knock that
together if you need it.

Are you seriously asking for another filesystem?

I don't get why you're holding me to these standards that that are totally missed by these same subsystems that you maintain.