ubuntu boot problem after compiling new kernel

From: Amirali Shambayati
Date: Wed Feb 09 2011 - 17:01:24 EST

Hello all,
I compiled a new kernel according to
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu instructions. The
kernel version is 2.6.18.1 and I did it in ubuntu 10.04 installed on
Virtualbox. But by choosing this kernel at grub, it gives this error:

libudev: udev_monitor_new_from_netlink: error getting socket: Invalid argument
Segmentation fault
Gave up waiting for root device. common problems:
-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
-check rootdelay=(did the system wait long enough?)
-check root=(did the system wait for the right device?)
-Missing modules (cat /proc/modules: ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I googled it and I looked for solution in many forums. I found some
solutions, but none of them worked for me :(
Such as checking if root device in grub is right for this kernel...
adding rootdelay=... to kernel line ... update-initramfs, adding
all_generic_ide to kernel line,...

My main kernel version is 2.6.32.21

Your help is appreciated. It's more than a week that I'm looking for a
solution. :-s

--
Amirali Shambayati
Bachelor Student