Does the scheduler know about the cache topology?

From: Daniel Tiron
Date: Mon Feb 07 2011 - 05:00:47 EST

Hi all.

I did some performance tests on a Core 2 Quad machine [1] with QEMU.
A QEMU instance creates one main thread and one thread for each virtual
CPU. There were two vms with one CPU each, which make four threads.

I tried different combinations where I pinned one tgread to one physical
core with taskset and measured the network performance between the vms
with iperf [2]. The best result was achieved with each vm (main and CPU
thread) assigned to one cache group (core 0 & 1 and 2 & 3).

But it also turns out that letting the scheduler handle the assignment
works well, too: The results where no pinning was done were just
slightly below the best. So I was wondering, is the Linux scheduler
aware of the CPU's cache topology?

I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Thanks,
Daniel

[1] Core 0 and 1 share one L2 cache and so do 2 and 3
[2] The topic of my research is networking performance. My interest in
cache awareness is only a side effect.