Re: Bash not reacting to Ctrl-C

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Sat Feb 05 2011 - 15:42:45 EST

On 01/28, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 01/28, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > >
> > > The bug is that occasionally Ctrl-C does not get processed, and that the Ctrl-C is
> > > 'lost'. It can be reproduced here by running ./test-signal several times, and
> > > Ctrl-C-ing it:
> > >
> > > $ ./test-signal
> > > ^C
> > > $ ./test-signal
> > > ^C^C
> > > $ ./test-signal
> > > ^C
> > >
> > > See that '^C^C' line? That is where i had to do Ctrl-C twice.
> >
> > Reproduced.
> >
> > At first glance, /bin/sh should be blamed... Hmm, probably yes,
> > I even reproduced this under strace, and this is what I see
> >
> > wait4(-1, 0x7fff388431c4, 0, NULL) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
> > --- SIGINT (Interrupt) @ 0 (0) ---
> > rt_sigreturn(0) = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system call)
> > wait4(-1, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], 0, NULL) = 9706
> >
> > So, ^C is not lost, but ./test-signal doesn't want to exit.
>
> Might be some Bash assumption or race that works under other OSs but somehow Linux
> does differently. IIRC Bash is being developed on MacOS-X.
>
> But it's happening all the time (with yum for example - but also with makejobs, as
> Thomas has reported it) - this is simply the first time i managed to reproduce it
> with something really simple.

OK, I seem to understand what happens. Of course I am not sure, I never
looked into these sources before...

Suppose that jctl ^C races with the normal child exit. In this case
waitchld() sets child->status = status (zero in this case) and calls
set_job_status_and_cleanup().

set_job_status_and_cleanup() notice wait_sigint_received and send
SIGINT to itself (termsig_handler (SIGINT)), but somehow it assumes
that the last foreground job should be terminated by SIGINT too:

else if (wait_sigint_received && (WTERMSIG (child->status) == SIGINT) &&

Then the next wait_for() clears wait_sigint_received and bash
looses ^C

Oleg.