Re: linux-next: manual merge of the msm tree with the arm tree

From: David Brown
Date: Fri Feb 04 2011 - 13:02:24 EST

On Fri, Feb 04 2011, Russell King wrote:

> I really don't care which - but I'll warn you that keeping changes
> hidden will result in a reduction of patch quality, and much much
> much less testing of those changes. And I won't care at all when you
> complain that MSM's broken because of one of my patches.
>
> Exactly what would you prefer?

I'd like to get a little bit of an idea what you would prefer me to do.

I see two reasonable workflows:

- I make a branch for the files that conflict with other changes in
the ARM tree and submit pull requests to you (Russell) for these
changes. Other MSM-specific changes would be in another tree that
goes to Linus.

- I submit everything via pull requests to you. This would probably
result in one additional request to you, that contained the stuff
that didn't conflict, since it would be nice to resolve the obvious
conflicts earlier.

The later is more work for you, and less for Linus.

Thanks,
David