Re: Backporting other subsystems on Linux

From: Hauke Mehrtens
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 16:23:39 EST

On 02/02/2011 11:26 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 02:09:26PM -0800, Luis Rodriguez wrote:
>> Increasing audience.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:27:10PM -0800, Zhao, Shanyu wrote:
>>> Hi Luis,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the quick response. When I say USB, I didn't mean USB network
>>> drivers, I'm talking about USB host/device controller drivers or gadget
>>> drivers. For example, we can backport USB3 support to, say, 2.6.28.
>>>
>>> From what I understand, I can add any driver to your compat-wireless tree and
>>> build it the same way as other wireless drivers. Am I right?
>>
>> That's right.
>>
>>> Then your tree should really be called compat-drivers. :) I'm not sure if
>>> you're welcoming non-network related drivers.

When adding more and more stuff we should probably rename
compat-wireless to something else. ;-)
I am fine with adding USB3 support, if Intel will help maintaining the
stuff in compat-wireless after they added it.

>> What I really need to get to at some point is to use implement a
>> menuconfig thingy, we already drag the Kconfigs in but use config.mk for
>> makefile/dependency mapping. Patches welcomed.
>
> BTW one idea I have as of recent is to consider using Hudson for automatic
> build testing for compat-wireless but haven't yet mucked with it. Eventually
> this will be more and more important as time goes by and we support older
> kernels. The goal is to at the *very least* always support down to the last
> stable 2.6 kernel listed on kernel.org, today that is 2.6.27 and I think its
> a safe promise to commit to backporting *at least* to that kernel. We go
> beyond 2.6.27 though today.

Automatic compile testing is really needed for compat-wireless. There
are often some special kernel version where it does not compile, like
now. ;-)

Some time ago I started writing a small bash script which tries to build
compat-wireless for various kernel versions and sends a email if
something went wrong. This was more or less hacked together from the
compat-wireless release script and some other scripts I have here. I
stopped working on this after I recognized that my server is way to slow
for running this script (compat-wireless build for one kernel toke more
than 30 minutes).

Using hudson or buildbot [2] is the better choice, but it should just
take 1 to 2 hours to get this hacked script working. Luis do you have a
server with hudson installed or a server capable for running hudson and
building compat-wireless? My server has a Intel Celeron with 2.4 GHz and
512MB Ram. I have to clean up my script before releasing it to someone
else, but if someone is interest I have no problem with making it relay
for use.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_(software)
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BuildBot

Hauke