Re: linux-next: manual merge of the msm tree with the arm tree

From: Russell King
Date: Wed Feb 02 2011 - 15:45:31 EST

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 12:32:52PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 08:00:31PM +0000, Russell King wrote:

> > > Public trees should never be rebased, so that shouldn't happen.
> >
> > No. I refuse to operate in a rigid environment.
> >
> > My tree is made available on the basis that the 'devel' branch is
> > constantly remerged (sometimes many times a day) from the individual
> > topic branches; 'devel' is a convenient branch for sfr to pull into
> > linux-next, and for others to see what's in the tree.
>
> merging is fine, right?
>
> Not rebasing, you really don't want to do that. Linus has been all over
> that topic in the past, I doubt he wants to bring it up again in detail.
>
> > I am not permitted by people in the community to keep my development
> > work unpublished.
> >
> > All the requirements from various different people are incompatible,
> > so I've chosen a way which satisfies the majority on the ARM community,
> > which is the community my tree serves. It does not serve mainline
> > community interests.
>
> So the goal of the ARM community isn't for the mainline community? That
> sounds like a big problem.
>
> > So I do not operate a "commit the patch and its fixed" policy except
> > for branches which people need to be fixed; they need to discuss their
> > requirements with me to achieve that.
>
> I'm not telling you how to run your branches, other than the simple fact
> of: "if it's public, it shouldn't be rebased". See Linus's comments for
> why this is.

I'm not going to get involved in an argument over this. If people
insist on telling me not to publish then I'll do exactly that - I'll
make my tree hidden from public view.

My personal preference was not to publish, but my hand was forced.

I've added Nicolas so he can fight for having my tree visible in an
unstable form.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: