Re: [Patch] kexec: remove KMSG_DUMP_KEXEC (was Re: Query aboutkdump_msg hook into crash_kexec())

From: Jarod Wilson
Date: Tue Feb 01 2011 - 11:06:20 EST

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:28:45AM -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 04:13:13PM +0800, Américo Wang wrote:

> > >Probably, I think we need to get rid of KMSG_DUMP_KEXEC.
> > >

> > Here we go.
> >
> > --------->
> >
> > KMSG_DUMP_KEXEC is useless because we already save kernel messages
> > inside /proc/vmcore, and it is unsafe to allow modules to do
> > other stuffs in a crash dump scenario.
> >

> I think this is right thing to do. First of all kmsg_dump() call inside
> crash_kexec() does not make any sense. Secondly, if kdump kernel is
> loaded, we anyway are going to capture log buffers in vmcore and there
> should not be any need to try to save messages twice.
>
> Now one can argue that what if kdump does not capture the dump. I think
> then right solution (though painful one) is to try to make kdump as
> reliable as possible instead of trying to come up with backup mechanisms
> to save logs in case kdump fails.

I'm of the same mind, kmsg_dump is fine by itself, but wedging it in to
duplicate something kdump already does on the grounds that kdump might
fail is Doing It Wrong. If one has concerns about kdump failing, put
effort into solidifying kdump.

Acked-by: Jarod Wilson <jarod@xxxxxxxxxx>

--
Jarod Wilson