Re: Linux 2.6.38-rc1 doesn't boot

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Jan 21 2011 - 10:28:38 EST

On 01/20/2011 11:18 PM, Li, Shaohua wrote:
> *(.jiffies)
> }
> jiffies = VVIRT(.jiffies);
> + jiffies_64 = jiffies;

OK, this is just messed up. If we need jiffies in a special section
then we should declare it as such (see __jiffy_data), but it's not clear
to me why we would. This seems like hack upon hack.

However, I suspect we may want to put jiffies into a .S file, and that
.S file needs to take into account architectures which need underscore
prefixes (which really sucks to have in ELF and is a major fail on those
ABI designers...)

-hpa