Re: RFC: UIO null parent for __uio_register_device and uio_device_name()

From: Earl Chew
Date: Wed Jan 19 2011 - 17:06:54 EST

Hans Koch wrote:
> There's a small library with helper functions. Among other things, they
> allow searching the UIO device node by name (the name you gave your device
> in uio_info->name). The library is here:
>
> git://git.linutronix.de/projects/libUIO.git
>
> or with gitweb:
>
> http://git.linutronix.de/gitweb.cgi?p=projects/libUIO.git;a=summary

Hans, Greg,

I appreciate the chance to discuss this change with you. I do understand your
point of view, and I can see how libUIO navigates sysfs from userspace
to figure out what's there.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to mandate the inclusion of sysfs in our
deployment, and Linux UIO has a dependency on sysfs to be usable.

I had hoped to stay within the confines of the mainline, but for now
we'll have to tolerate a local patch.

Earl