Re: [patch] fs: aio fix rcu lookup

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Jan 19 2011 - 16:20:11 EST

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Jeff Moyer <jmoyer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  Do you mean to imply that
>>> io_destroy is not a very slow path?  Because it is.  I prefer a solution
>>> that doesn't re-architecht things in order to solve a theoretical issue
>>> that's never been observed.
>>
>> Even something that happens once per process lifetime, like in fork/exit
>> is not necessarily suitable for RCU.
>
> Now you've really lost me.  ;-)  Processes which utilize the in-kernel
> aio interface typically create an ioctx at process startup, use that for
> submitting all of their io, then destroy it on exit.  Think of a
> database.  Every time you call io_submit, you're doing a lookup of the
> ioctx.
>
>> I don't know exactly how all programs use io_destroy -- of the small
>> number that do, probably an even smaller number would care here. But I
>> don't think it simplifies things enough to use synchronize_rcu for it.
>
> Above it sounded like you didn't think AIO should be using RCU at all.

synchronize_rcu of course, not RCU (typo).

> Here it sounds like you are just against synchronize_rcu.  Which is it?
> And if the latter, then please tell me in what cases you feel one would
> be justified in calling synchronize_rcu.  For now, I simply disagree
> with you.  As I said before, you're already potentially waiting for disk
> I/O to complete.  It doesn't get much worse than that for latency.

I think synchronize_rcu should firstly not be used unless it gives a good
simplification, or speedup in fastpath.

When that is satified, then it is a question of exactly what kind of slow
path it should be used in. I don't think it should be used in process-
synchronous code (eg syscalls) except for error cases, resource
exhaustion, management syscalls (like module unload).

For example "it's waiting for IO anyway" is not a good reason, IMO.
Firstly because it may not be waiting for a 10ms disk IO, it may be
waiting for anything up to an in-RAM device. Secondly because it
could be quite slow depending on the RCU model used.