RE: clearcache (Was: Re: [git pull] vfs pile 1)

From: Dan Magenheimer
Date: Fri Jan 14 2011 - 18:29:36 EST

> > As a result, I've spent most of my
> > free time over the last three months working on kztmem, which will
> > hopefully serve the purpose.
>
> You'll have to forgive me, but I have absolutely no idea what kztmem
> is or what it does. Is it just compressed tmem, and hence, something
> that is only of interest to people using Xen? If so, it's not clear
> to me how it will help non-Xen people become interested in these
> patches.

Ah, sorry, processing too much email backlog and left out some context...

Kztmem is entirely in-kernel, no virtualization required (neither
Xen nor KVM). I'll cc you when I post V1 soon but, yes, it is
compressed *in-kernel* tmem, a more flexible/dynamic replacement for
zcache and possibly also for zram as well, architected and designed
to more easily (than zcache/zram) exploit some other directions
I plan to take with tmem concepts, including (but not limited to)
page-addressable memory (http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=127811271605009).
Kztmem is coded (at least for now) as a staging driver, but uses
exactly the proposed cleancache (and frontswap) patches.

Hope that helps!
Dan