Re: [RFC V2 3/3] cpuidle: default idle driver for x86

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Thu Jan 13 2011 - 10:47:25 EST

On 1/13/2011 4:52 AM, Trinabh Gupta wrote:
This default cpuidle_driver parses idle= boot parameters, selects
the optimal idle routine for x86 during bootup and registers with
cpuidle. The code for idle routines and the selection of optimal
routine is moved from arch/x86/kernel/process.c . At module_init this
default driver is registered with cpuidle and for non ACPI platforms
it continues to be used. For ACPI platforms, acpi_idle driver would
replace this driver at a later point in time during bootup. Until
this driver's registration, architecture supplied compile time
default idle routine is called from within cpuidle_idle_call().

I like the general approach, but I'd think making idle drivers modular is going one step too far....
that looks like waaay overkill to me (also since most of the actual idle handlers are so small
that the overhead of the exported symbols alone is bigger than the idle handlers)