Re: ARM: relocation out of range (when loading a module)

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Tue Jan 11 2011 - 10:17:39 EST

Am 11.01.2011 07:34, schrieb Alexander Holler:
Am 10.01.2011 23:26, schrieb Nicolas Pitre:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Alexander Holler wrote:

I've build a kernel 2.6.37 for an armv5-device which includes an
initramfs of
about 16MB (uncompressed, result is a kernel of about 6MB) and I now
getting
errors when trying to load a module (which is included in that
initramfs):

Do you really need to have such a bit initramfs?

Not really, but it is handier to use than a separate file.

What you can do to work around this issue is to load your initramfs
separately as a initrd ramdisk image. , and not combine it with the
kernel image.

Point is that I would like to understand why including an initramfs has
such consequences.

I have to search for some pictures which are explaining the memory
layout (never had any interested in that before).

I assume some memory near the kernel is reserved for the modules and an
initramfs will come inbetween the kernel and the reserved memory for
modules.

Thinking a bit more about that (for me unexcpected) "relocation out of range" error when loading a module, I'm curious if there could be other conditions which would lead to that error. Especially conditions which could be generated by the userspace or remote from some network.

Regards,

Alexander