Re: kernel support for Single System Image (SSI) clustering

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Mon Jan 10 2011 - 18:29:49 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Valery Khamenya wrote:

> Hi gurus,
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> ÂÂQ1. is it possible to make Linux kernels more friendly to SSI-clustering ?
>
> ÂÂQ2. is there any support for SSI-clustering planned for next kernels?
>

> DETAILS:
>
> During 2005-2006ÂI've been using OpenSSI cluster based on patched
> Linux kernel and was very, very happy. With almost no efforts I was
> able to compute thingsÂovernightÂusing OpenSSI that otherwise
> would take days.
>
> Five years ago I've been expecting thatÂone dayÂLinux dev community
> will adopt the most interestingÂparts from OpenSSI and/or Kerrighed.

If noone involved in those projects push the changes towards mainline
nothing will happen. The mainline kernel does not magically absorb changes
made elsewhere.

If the changes those projects make are generally useful to mainline and
are mature and stable, then perhaps someone involved in those projects (or
an interested bystander - like yourself) should perhaps consider
submitting some of those patches to LKML and/or relevant maintainers.
Noone is going to do the work for you - you have to push those
modifications if you believe they are worth it.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.chaosbits.net/
Plain text mails only, please.