Re: Linux 2.6.37-rc8

From: Zhang Rui
Date: Wed Dec 29 2010 - 20:17:42 EST

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 20:08 +0800, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 29, 2010, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 05:18:12PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > Another week, another -rc. This should be the last for the 37 series,
> >
> > There's also the issue with oopsing when physically removing the battery
> > from the system. I have a proposed fix but no acks/nacks from ACPI guys
> > yet:
> >
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/418751/
>
> The commit causing this problem has been reverted:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=cde44d1740bcb3dcfecbf792a71826431e61686e
>
> Which means that the problem it attepmted to address is back.

Right.
After discussion with Len, we agreed that the real problem is that we
should not probe/unprobe power_supply class device in
acpi_battery_update.
And we also agreed on reverting that commit for now, and rewriting the
battery driver, sometime in Q1 2011, with the problem fixed.
Sorry that I didn't update this in the mailing list.

thanks,
rui