Re: linux-next: Tree for December 27

From: Piotr Hosowicz
Date: Tue Dec 28 2010 - 09:27:37 EST

On 27.12.2010 17:16, Sedat Dilek wrote:

On 27.12.2010 15:48, Sedat Dilek wrote:

2010/12/27 Piotr Hosowicz<piotr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 27.12.2010 07:04, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

Hello,

I noticed that after first reboot with this kernel that my MP3
collection
in
mocp layed on Ext4 fs opens painfully slow. It is not my mistake,
because
always do it the same way, new kernel, then music on. The problem
is not
present in rc7-git4. I could measure it in some way (timing ls -la
in tht
dir?) if somebody needs it.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

You tried mblk_io_submit mount-option for that partition?

No, I do not use it, I do not even know what it is. My options are:

/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

Have a closer look at "ext4: Turn off multiple page-io submission by
default"

I tried to Google for mblk_io_submit but I didn't find anything helpful.
Could you tell me how should I add this option in fstab and what will be
its effect?

As far as I understand that option regards writing, not reading. The
symptoms I described occured while reading only.

That's the only performance issue I am aware of in ext4 in recent time.
Why don't you try it and present some numbers in transfer ratio (write, read)?

Ok, I'll try to measure it in shell. Now I am building newest non-next kernel and the trial script is:

#!/bin/bash

uname -a
mount
cd /data/music
time ls -d *
cd -

This is basically what mocp does when it enters my music directory, apart from displaying the results in ncurses based UI. Then I'll reboot with next kernel and run it again. Will it do?

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
Ktoś zapukał do drzwi.