Re: Build regression: unknown option "visible"

From: Michal Marek
Date: Mon Dec 20 2010 - 18:46:20 EST

On 20.12.2010 18:37, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Carlos R. Mafra<crmafra2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After pulling latest git from Linus (v2.6.37-rc6-132-g55ec86f)
I can't compile it anymore:

[mafra@Pilar:linux-2.6]$ make -j2 O=/mnt/ext4/kernel-output/
GEN /mnt/ext4/kernel-output/Makefile
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
drivers/i2c/algos/Kconfig:6: unknown option "visible"
drivers/media/common/tuners/Kconfig:48: unknown option "visible"
drivers/media/video/Kconfig:115: unknown option "visible"
drivers/media/dvb/frontends/Kconfig:16: unknown option "visible"
make[3]: *** [silentoldconfig] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** [silentoldconfig] Fehler 2

This was introduced by 37e3273ee52f ("media/video: convert Kconfig
to use the menu's `visible' keyword"), but I did a quick search
and apparently I am the only one with a broken build.

In any case, that's a regression for me and therefore I'm reporting it.

I can test patches etc and provide more info if needed.

Did you build from a clean tree or a dirty one ?

I know these is issue with Kbuild where the parser will not get
updated to the new version if the target already exist but is older
than the current "shipped" one.

Yes, if you build kconfig in the source tree and then do another build in a separate directory (make O=/some/where), the build system will not detect this and happily use generated kconfig files from the previous build attempt. I really should fix this given the pace of kconfig development lately :-).

Michal