Re: Free memory never fully used, swapping

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 14:13:54 EST

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Simon Kirby wrote:

> Can we also mess with these /sys files on the fly?

Sure. Go ahead. These are runtime configurable.

> I'm not familiar with how slub works, but I assume there's some overhead
> or some reason not to just use order 0 for <= kmalloc-4096? Or is it
> purely just trying to reduce cpu by calling alloc_pages less often?

Using higher order pages reduces the memory overhead for objects (that
after all need to be packed into an order N page), decreases the amount
of metadata that needs to be managed and decreases the use of the
slowpaths. That implies also a reduction in the locking overhead.