Re: When was ASLR introduced in the Linux kernel?

From: Victor van der Veen
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 12:51:07 EST

> > - When was ASLR introduced in the Linux kernel (not PaX/ExecShield)?
> > - When was ASLR enabled by default?
> > - What's the current state of ASLR in the Linux kernel? Is it still
> > under development? Or should we rely on the PaX/ExecShield patches?
>
> randomize-va-space:
>
> echo val >/proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
>

> vi +391 Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt
>
> <snip>

Thanks, but this was not what I was really looking for. However,
searching for 'randomize_va_space' led me to a thread on lkml started by
Arjan van de Ven on January 27th, 2005:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/1/27/56

It would be great if someone can provide more details on this subject:
1) when was randomize_va_space introduced? (probably somewhere in
2.6.11.x)
2) when was it enabled by default (2.6.12.? but no announcement in
changelog?)
3) which additions were added in later releases? (and when?)

Thanks,
Victor