When was ASLR introduced in the Linux kernel?

From: Victor van der Veen
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 06:47:50 EST

Hi,

- When was ASLR introduced in the Linux kernel (not PaX/ExecShield)?
- When was ASLR enabled by default?
- What's the current state of ASLR in the Linux kernel? Is it still
under development? Or should we rely on the PaX/ExecShield patches?

Wikipedia states that "a weak form of ASLR exists in the linux kernel
since version 2.6.12 (June 2005)", but I could not find any proof that
backs this up. I grepped changelogs of the entire 2.6 kernel, but I was
unable to find any relevant information. Grepping the source code did
not help either. Any more Google results all quote the same wikipedia
line.

Thanks,
Victor van der Veen