Re: per-chroot clock module ?

From: Ben Gamari
Date: Sat Nov 27 2010 - 13:57:39 EST

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:21:34 +0000, Jason Vas Dias <jason.vas.dias@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> Sorry in advance if this is a stupid idea, but -
>
> I'd really like to be able to set a distinct "clock" for a specific chroot environment,
> such that the super-user could call :
> [snip]

It certainly doesn't sound like a particularly good idea to me. This
would add great complexity to the kernel while having very few
users. Perhaps there's something I haven't considered but I can't think
of any good applications for this sort of functionality. Do you have
something in particular in mind?

It seems like what you want here is simple virtualization. Have you
considered KVM? The closest thing to your request currently upstream is
containers, although I'm unsure of whether a container can be created
with an independent clock. Might be something to look into.

Cheers,

- Ben