Re: [RFC/PATCH v6 05/12] media: Reference count and power handling

From: Laurent Pinchart
Date: Thu Nov 25 2010 - 10:43:10 EST

Hi Mark,

On Thursday 25 November 2010 14:49:08 Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 03:28:12AM +0100, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > If the entity is of node type, the power change is distributed to
> > all connected entities. For non-nodes it only affects that very
> > node. A mutex is used to serialise access to the entity graph.
>
> ASoC has its own power management stuff which doesn't *quite* map onto
> this one as-is. The power determination stuff is essentially identical
> (and this is actually nicer) but we have a separate postprocessing stage
> that actually applies the changes in a sequence which minimises audible
> issues caused by doing things in a bad order (eg, power down a PGA
> before you turn off inputs). This is noddy enough to implement, though
> - we just need a pre and post run notifications to set up and implement
> the changes I think.

That sounds feasible. Sakari, you've implemented power management, what do you
think about this ?

> BTW, I notice you've not CCed the ALSA list, Liam, Takashi or Jaroslav
> on any of this - might be good.

I've just subscrived to the alsa-devel list. I will make sure to CC it, as
well as Liam, Takashi and Jaroslav, on the next version of the patches. Sorry
about the missing CC's in these e-mails.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart