Re: [RFC] persistent store

From: Jim Keniston
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 15:35:27 EST

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 17:37 -0800, Tony Luck wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Jim Keniston
> <jkenisto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> + /* Don't dump oopses to persistent store */
> >
> > Why not? In our case, we capture every oops and panic report, but keep
> > only the most recent. Seems like catching the last oops could be useful
> > if your system hangs thereafter and can't be made to panic. I suggest
> > you pass along the reason (KMSG_DUMP_OOPS or whatever) and let the
> > callback decide.
>
> My thoughts were that Oops were non-fatal and ended up in /var/log/messages,
> so this would be unneeded (this bit of code was copied from one of mtdoops
> or ramoops - which does almost the same ... they do have an option to
> allow the copy - perhaps I should have copied that bit too?).

Yes, I'd still vote for that, because:
1) it provides flexibility at very low cost;
2) it could be useful if syslogd and/or klogd and/or the filesystem
holding /var/log are in trouble; and
3) it's helpful because I want to be sure -- even in the face of limited
NVRAM -- to capture the start of an oops that causes a panic.

(3) requires a little more explanation: As far as I can tell, by the
time you're in panic(), there's no way to know that you're panicking
because of an oops. (The oops_in_progress flag doesn't seem to be
intended for this.) But if I get notified at the time of the oops, I
can check the panic_on_oops flag and know that we're GOING to panic, and
set a panicking_on_oops flag for use when I get called back again during
the panic. (No, my patch set doesn't do that yet, because I didn't
figure it out 'til recently.) There's perhaps a more generic solution
to this particular problem, but I may be your only client with such
space constraints.

> > You'd have to serialize the oops handling, I guess, in case multiple
> > CPUs oops simultaneously. (Gotta fix that in my code.)
> Yup - I need to do this too (I only allocate one buffer).
>
> >> + psinfo->writer(PSTORE_DMESG, pstore_buf, l1_cpy + l2_cpy);
> >
> > This assumes that you always want to capture the last psinfo->data_size
> > bytes of the printk buffer. Given the small capacity of our NVRAM
> > partition, I handle the case where the whole oops report doesn't fit.
> > In that case, I sacrifice the end of the oops report to capture the
> > beginning. Patch #3 in my set is about this.
>
> Yes - I assume here that the last "data_size" bytes will be enough
> to be useful. But in your case it most likely won't be. You could
> lie about how much space you allow and then include some oops
> parsing code to get the vital bits out of what is passed to you. Not
> pretty - but it would work.

Yeah, in the case of powerpc, a psinfo->data_size value of (say) 8K
would almost certainly include the start of the oops. And then I could
simplify my code quite a bit.

> >> + new_pstore->attr.attr.mode = 0444;
> >
> > /var/log/messages is typically not readable by everybody. This
> > appears to circumvent that.
>
> But "dmesg(8)" typically *does* allow any user to see the most recent
> part of the console log - so we are not consistent about this.

You're right, of course. It's the user-mode syslog messages that are
being hidden.

> -Tony

Jim