Re: [thiscpuops upgrade 10/10] Lockless (and preemptless)fastpaths for slub

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 14:56:18 EST

* Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >> You're using a compiler barrier after every load from c->tid. Why?
> > To make sure that the compiler does not do something like loading the tid
> > later. The tid must be obtained before the rest of the information from
> > the per cpu slab data is retrieved in order to ensure that we have a
> > consistent set of data to operate on.
>
> Isn't that best expressed with ACCESS_ONCE()?

ACCESS_ONCE() use of volatile only ensures that volatile accesses are not
reordered wrt each other. It does not ensure anything about other unrelated
memory accesses (which we want to make sure the compiler won't move before the
c->tid read). The compiler barrier() is really what seems to be needed here.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers