Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI queuecommand API change for 2.6.37-rc1

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Nov 13 2010 - 00:27:04 EST

On 11/12/2010 11:42 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
Having to inevitably do that silly double dereference
("cmd->device->host") seems bogus. Passing in the host you want to
queue something on seems to be natural, and avoids that nasty chain of
dereferences, so it really should improve the code.

As noted in the patch v4, just sent, I agree.

So the shost pointer is certainly a lot more useful than the 'done'
function pointer. So yeah, I'd switch them around - pass the 'done'
thing indirectly, and the shost directly.

You bozos would come up with this the _minute_ I sent my patch, eh? :)

IMO, the 'done' removal should be in a separate patch from the host lock push-down.

It should be straightforward, if applied immediately following the push-down patch. bisect remains clean.

Jeff