Re: mem_map array on NUMA

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 16:18:14 EST

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Artur Baruchi wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Im developing a module that get some information about memory pages.
> This module worked fine on non-NUMA machine, I was able to walk
> through the memory using the mem_map array. But, when I tried to
> compile this module in a NUMA machine, the mem_map is not beeing
> exported and I cannot use it.

You're no longer using flatmem in that case.

> Does anybody knows what can be used to substitute the mem_map array in
> a NUMA machine ? Im using the kernel 2.6.35, and the
> comments/documentations for newer kernels seems to be outdated.

It depends on what pages you want to iterate through: pageblock, zone,
node, or the entire system. You didn't say what information you're trying
to obtain, so it's difficult to know whether you want to only look at
pages within a certain zone or node, pageblocks that are migratable, pages
mapped by a certain task, etc.

For pages bound to a certain mm or vma, I'd recommend using the
walk_page_range() interface. For zone iterations, do:

struct zone *zone;

for_each_populated_zone(zone) {
spin_lock(&zone->lock);
for (pfn = zone->zone_start_pfn;
pfn < zone->zone_start_pfn + zone->spanned_pages; pfn++) {
if (pfn_valid(pfn)) {
struct page *page = pfn_to_page(pfn);

/* do something with page */
}
}
spin_unlock(&zone->lock);
}

Or you could iterate through node_zonelists for only a specified node of
interest.