Re: [RFC -tip] x86, apic: Merge x2apic code

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 16:00:06 EST

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:44:17PM -0800, Suresh Siddha wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 11:20 -0800, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> > Hi, while being at x2apic_x.c code I noted that files look similar to
> > each other so I guessed may be we could merge them. As result --
> > this patch.
>
> BTW, as you noticed, x2apic cluster mode allows IPI's to be sent to
> multiple cpu's (in the same cluster) at once. I was hoping sometime I
> will do this to see if it helps in anything.
>
> So once we do that IPI code will look different.

yes, indeed, so enlight me a bit -- we have to map every cpu number from
cpumask to apic-id, then figure out if it belongs to same cluster, collect
such apic-ids and then send one ipi with one cluster and multiple apic-id
bits as a destination, or I miss something and there _can't_ ever be the
situation when first 16 cpus from cpumask belong to different clusters?

> > So comments/complains are appreciated and what is more important -- if we need
> > this patch at all.
>
> May be we can do the merge for most of them but leave IPI code as it is
> (as that is also in the hot path). And may be while we are at this, we
> should probably look at the x2apic cluster IPI bits now aswell.

yes, probably. Though I think first we need to resolve situation with
per-cluster IPIs.

> thanks,
> suresh

Cyrill