Re: Tracing Requirements (was: [RFC/Requirements/Design] h/w errorreporting)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 04:17:39 EST

* Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

> > I'd like to start with an implementation that skips some of these requirements
> > initially, but what I really think we need to figure out is how we organize our
> > ABIs to finally support these requirements.

Note, there is an existing ABI in place, please use that. (It's highly extensible so
it can support just about any ABI experiment that can even be turned into a smooth
ABI replacement.)

I think Frederic just started iterating it - but if Mathieu and Steve helps out it
will all happen faster.

> I did not say, that you should not think about this, but the progress so far in
> more than TWO YEARS is exaclty ZERO. And that's what I'm concerned about.

Yes, indeed that is the main problem i see as well.

Most of the problems listed in the various documents can be solved iteratively in
the existing facilities. There is not a single requirement where Peter or me said
'No, this cannot be done, go away!'. Each and every item was answered with: 'sure,
we can do that' - or at worst with a 'do we really need it?'. Each and every item
fits naturally into existing goals as well - so it's not like some different world
view is being forced on anyone.

We only have one basic condition: please introduce these thing step by step in the
existing ABI.

This is a must-have for tools, and there is another very important factor as well: a
couple of items can have disadvantages beyond the claimed advantages, so we want to
be able to evaluate the effects in isolation, test them and if needed, undo them. It
will settle the 'do we really need this?' kind of sub-arguments for sub-features.

So being intelligent about it, being iterative is my only requirement to you guys:
you are free to change anything, go wild, but please make it iterative and dont try
to fork the tooling and developer community.

The time has come to not grow the list of requirements but to shrink it.

Thanks,

Ingo