Re: [GPIO]implement sleeping GPIO chip removal

From: Grant Likely
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 17:14:20 EST

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:01:40PM +0100, Maciej Szmigiero wrote:
> W dniu 10.11.2010 21:42, Thomas Gleixner pisze:
> >>>

> >> The only way to do GPIO chip removal in the current code is to busy-loop.
> >> "Sloppy" (as you called it) waiting is still more CPU-friendly than looping
> >> in hope that somebody will finally release the chip.
> >> If you would like to implement it as kobject then go ahead and post the code
> >> so it can be used in drivers.
> >
> > Wait a moment. You are getting something backwards here.
> >
> > Fact is that the current code is not designed for easy hotunplugging
> > and therefor requires looping.
> >
> > So _you_ propose a work-around to replace the busy-loop by a sleeping
> > loop with "hope that ....". Hope is the least thing what counts in
> > programming.
> >
> > Now a reviewer tells you that your idea of replacing the busy-loop by
> > a sleeping in hope loop is flawed, because it does not solve the
> > underlying design problem of the GPIO code. And you get a suggestion
> > how to solve it correctly.
> >
> > Now you go and request from that reviewer to implement that? That's
> > not how it works.
> >
> > You sent a flawed patch in the first place and people try to tell you
> > how to do it right. Then it's on you to either go and do it right or
> > at least ask politely for help and pointers.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > tglx
> >

> You misunderstood me.
> By "looping in hope that somebody will finally release the chip" I meant the only
> real way to handle a GPIO chip unplugging in the current kernel.
> Which is way worse that preventing new requests, then waiting for existing one to be released.
> And this is exactly what my patch does.
>
> I understand that it could be simplified by removing redundant code (as Grant Likely had suggested before), and
> moving it to completion interface instead of manipulating a task structure directly, but this doesn't mean
> that the whole GPIO code has to be rewritten just to add one functionality.

BTW, switching to using a kobject != rewriting the whole GPIO code.
kobjects are not all that scary and the biggest impact is adding
kobject get/put operation on the gpio get/release apis. I don't
expect it to end up being overly complex.

The Documentation/kobject.txt file should offer some insight.

g.